1. Warm- up:(5 mins)
+ Aims: to introduce the topic of the lesson and to raise sts’ interest.
– Ask sts to close their books
– Deliver handouts, and ask sts to match a noun in column A with a phrase in column B.
1. a teacher a. does homework
2. a doctor b. works in the field
3. a student c. delivers letters
4. a postman d. looks after patients
5. a farmer e. gives lessons
– Ask sts to match quickly in one minute, then ask some sts to stand up to answer T’s quetions.
– After the last question, T introduces the new lesson.
2. Before you read:(10 mins)
– Do the first example.
T: What time do you often get up?
– Ask sts to work in pairs to ask and answer about their daily routine, using the cues in the textbook.
– Introduce the topic of the reading passage: “A day in the life of a farmer”
– Introduce some new words:
– plough (v)
– ‘harrow (v): bõa
– a plot of land (n) (point at the picture)
– ‘peasant (n): a poor farmer
– pump(v): b¬m
– trans’plant (v)(use 2 words”plant” and “trans-” to explain).
do the transplanting
– Ask sts to listen and repeat these words twice, then ask some sts to read again.
3. While you read:(20 mins)
– Aims: Sts practise reading
+ Task 1:
– Ask sts to read the passage about a farmer, Mr. Vy and his wife, Mrs. Tuyet. and do Task1.
– Ask sts to work individually in 5 minutes to do this task.
– Translate number 4 into Vietnamese in case sts do not know the word “contented with” and three options.
+ Task 2:
– Ask sts to read the passage again and answer the questions about Mr. Vy and Mrs. Tuyet.
– Ask them to work in pairs, one asks and one answers.
– Ask some sts to report and give feedback.
+ Task 3:
– Ask sts to read the passage again, and explain what they are going to do.
– Ask them to complete the note in 7 minutes, then discuss their answers with their partners.
– Ask three sts to report their answers aloud.
– Check and give remarks.
Work in groups to discuss.
– Ask one member of their groups to report if possible.
4. After you read: (9 mins)
– Aims: to help sts to consolidate what they have read.
– Ask sts to close their books.
– Ask them to work in small groups of three or four to talk about Mr. Vy and Mrs. Tuyet’s daily routines basing on their note in Task 3.
– Encourage them to use their own words.
– Ask one or two pairs to report.
5. Homework: (1 min)
– Ask sts to write full passage about Mr. Vy and Mrs. Tuyet basing on what they have discussed in Post- Reading.
– close their books
– match two columns
T : What does a teacher do?
S1 : He gives lessons
T : What does a doctor do?
S2 : He looks after patients.
T : What does a farmer do?
S5 : He works in the field.
S: I often get up at six
S1: What time do you often go to school?
S2: I often go to school at 6.30
S3: What time do you often have breakfast?
S4: I often have breakfast at 6.15.
S11: What do you often do in the evening?
S12: I often do my homework.
S: I think he is a farmer.
– Listen and repeat.
– plough – peasant
– harrow – pump
– a plot of land – transplant
S1: What is Mr. Vy’s occupation?
S2: He is a farmer.
S3: What time does he get up and what does he do after that?
S4: He gets up at 4.30, then he goes down to the kitchen to boil some water for his morning tea.
S5: What does he do in the morning?
S6: In the morning he ploughs and harrows his plot of land, drinks tea and smokes local tobacco during his break.
S7: What do Mr. Vy and his wife do in the afternoon?
S8: They repair the banks of their plot of land. Mr. Vy pumps water into it while his wife does the transplanting.
S9: Are they happy with their lives or not? Why?
S10: Yes, they are. Because they love working and they love their children.
– In the morning:
+ 4.30: The alrm goes off and Mr. Vy gets up, goes down to the kitchen, boil water for tea, has a quick breakfast, leads the buffalo to the field.
+ 5.15: he leaves the house
+ 5.30: he arrives in the field, ploughs and harrows his plot of land.
+7.45: He takes a rest
+ 10.30: he gose home
+ 11.30: he has lunch with his family.
– In the afternoon:
+ 2.30: they go to the field again, repair the bank of the plot of land. He pumps water into it, she does the transplanting.
+ 6.00: they finish work.
+ 7.00: they have dinner.
– After dinner:
+ They watch TV, sometimes they see their neighbours for a cup of tea and chat with them.
+10.00: they go to bed.